Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

The Giver Reflection: Would you Want your Future Chosen?


The Giver is a story written by Lois Lowry. In the book, it portrays a perfect town, or an Utopia: an ideal place of perfection. The rules are strict, the place is orderly, and everything is predictable. Even your future is chosen for you. When I first read the book, the first thought for me? This book is depressing. Why? Because they live their life like robots. Everything they do is what they were told to do. So, I picked the prompt: Would you want your future to be decided by others ? Why or Why not?

In all honesty, it depends. Sometimes in life, you want things chosen for you while in other parts, you want to make the decision yourself. And at other times, you simply didn't have a choice, like Jonas and his family. But in reality, life isn't that simple. It is never handed out on a silver platter so easily. Instead, life is more like a road, and sometimes there are many roads you could choose to follow, each one ending up with it's own
consequence. Whatever you do, something good or bad comes out of it. Sometimes, you really just don't have a say in your life. Like when I moved to Malaysia, it wasn't by my own choice. I nearly cried for a week when I learnt that I was moving here. I wanted it to be my say whether my family and I moved or not. But alas, that was my dad's decision, and not mine. If I sum it all my feelings and thoughts up though, my answer would be:

No. I wouldn't like to have my future chosen. Why? Because life is about making choices. If we didn't make our choices, we would have to follow someone else's demands. Like how everyone in the community has to do the jobs that the Elder had chosen for them. If you had a gentle nature, you had a job like Nurturer or the Director of the House of Old. If you had imagination, you would be an architect. You had no say at all of what you would want to be when you grew up. That would infuriate me. I generally hate people dictating my life. To me, all the decisions I make are the ones I make for myself, and I would take the consequence for whatever happened because it would be my fault. To have the gift of choosing taken away from me would be like living an empty, gray life with absolutely no excitement.

Also, to me, taking away the ability to make choices is like taking freedom away. After all, isn't freedom about doing what you want? Well, in The Giver, they didn't have a choice. They were only given bikes at the age of nine, and starting at the Eights, you had to do volunteering hours. And everyone in the community had to depend on each other in some way. From what I have read so far, if one person got taken away, such as the Director or Recreation, things would start falling apart. I like to be independent, and not have to rely on someone to do things.

If you were also able to choose your own destiny, you could experience so many more things. The minute you have your future decided, you become biased, and only do things that would help you in your future. That would be all you would ever strive and work for. In other words, you become single-minded. Not knowing your destiny lets you do so many things, like climb mountains, invent things, write a story, and so much more. Life is about making mistakes. If you don't make any, you practically learn nothing. Having others choose your destiny gives you nothing to look forward to. While some people might take that for granted, they would never know what they were missing out. You would think, "I know what I am going to do, have got everything planned out, now what am I to do?"

But even so, sometimes you don't get to choose. Monarchy is passed down, and you have to become King/Queen no matter what. But when you get a choice, think of it as a gift, and not a liability. There are people who want to have the choice to choose their destiny. Many people don't, like slaves. They don't get to choose their destiny. It's controlled by their masters. In The Giver, the people in the community are like slaves that way, and their masters are the Elders. The Elders chooses the people's occupation, love life, children. Those three things are probably what makes up a life most. So I choose to have the privilege to make my own choices.

What about you?







Graphic Source:

1 comment:

  1. I ADORE YOUR BLOGPOST!!!!!! I totally agree with all your ideas. I like how you used varies quotes to further expand your ideas. I also really like how you ended your blog with a question... it made me think! Even though I chose the same question and we had many similar answers, I feel that you have expanded my vocabulary and have put me into a deep train of thought. THANK YOU!!!!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete